Hans Bergsten wrote:

> I agree that it's reasonable to assume that the same HttpSession
> instance is used throughout the session in the most common case,
> but I don't agree that the spec mandates this implementation (and
> I don't think it should mandate implementation details unless it's
> absolutely necessary for portability). But in a container that
> saves sessions to disk to conserve memory, or during server restart,
> you will most definitely see more than one instance. Same thing
> for a distributable application, where the session may migrate
> to another server.

If your server implements session swapping or distribution (as we are currently
developing in the 4.1 repository), it is pretty much guaranteed that different
session object instances may be used during the lifetime of the same session.

This is also true if you take advantage of the current support in Tomcat 3.2 and
4.0 for saving and restoring sessions across a server restart.

Craig