On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 4/17/01 5:12 PM, "GOMEZ Henri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > [ ] I want to have a ajp12/ajp13 in Tomcat 4.0 ?
>
> Is the requirements of the Servlet API technically feasible for allowing
> this to exist?

There are some very significant technical challenges that would need to be
overcome for this to work.  They relate to the fact that the Apache+Tomcat
combination, as a whole, needs to behave in a manner consistent with the
spec.  A sampling of the issues includes:

* Filters - You can define filter mappings in your web.xml file that
  cover static content as well as dynamic content.  To be compliant,
  Apache *must* forward the static requests mapped to such filters to
  Tomcat for processing.

* Servlet Mappings - The current 3.x connectors don't pay attention to
  servlet mappings in web.xml either.

* Security Constraints - Likewise, you can define Tomcat-level security
  constraints that cover static content as well.  Tomcat 3.2 (at least)
  totally blows those off, because it ignores web.xml entirely.

* Welcome Files - In servlet 2.3 these can be specified by partial paths
  like "../index.html" or "foo/index.jsp" as well as just filenames.

* Configuration complexity - The above issues can often be dealt with
  by tediously configuring everything twice (once in web.xml and once
  in httpd.conf).  A better approach would be to make ajp12/ajp13
  auto-configure Apache from the web.xml settings -- but mod_webapp
  already does that, so why reinvent that again?

Craig