On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >I think Dan is right on this one - improving the configuration
> >of mod_jk
> >is probably the most important thing, and merging with mod_webapp and
> >porting it's protocol and config mechanism would be a good way
> >to do that.
>
> I agree that integrating mod_webapp functionnalities is not
> a priority for the 3.x branch. We could add the autoconf stuff
> or may be also use APR which will hide all OS complexity.

Well, it is a priority - but smaller than releasing 3.3 sooner and
keeping it stable.

That's true for many other things - we should be very conservative in
adding any new feature or making any non-bug-fix change that can be done
as a separate module.

If you think in terms of modules everything is much simpler and safe. A
revolution that implements a merge of the 2 connectors will be a module,
same for a jasper merge, or for any new fancy features.

The user can use the new module - and if we feel the new code is
stable enough we can include it in a future release ( 3.3.1 ? ), or create
a separate distribution for it. It'll be just like the "update" feature in
many programs ( like xemacs, netbeans, mozilla ).

> The problem today, is that there is 2 version of mod_jk :
>
> *) mod_jk in Tomcat 3.3
>   Latest code, maintainers, bugs fixed and Apache 1.3/2.0 support
> *) mod_jk in Tomcat 3.2.x
>   The same code since 3.2, no much maintainers, some bugs fixed in 3.3
>   are not in 3.2, only Apache 1.3 support.

3.2.3 is almost released.

3.3 is getting closer - we have quite a few bugs, but most of them are
present in 3.2 also ( so no regression AFAIK, only "LATER" ).
It is normal that the next release has more bug fixes than the previous
one.

> I strongly think we must have the connectors in a separate project
> so I'll follow your proposal and start a revolution.

Having it "separate" is good, the "project" part doesn't seem right for
now.

( at least I would be very -1 on doing the merge of adding new features in
the main tree for 3.3 - but if it is completed and works fine before the
next release we should be able to include both modules ).

> * native code extracted => connector
> * java code moved from tomcat core/utils => org.apache.connector

+1

Maybe httpserver ( to match the httpclient in commons ) ?
( I think it should be org.apache.tomcat.xxxx - we shouldn't add new
org.apache namespaces )