Wow, it is so good to see development discussion on tomcat-dev, and be
able to participate :-)

I have a big question - what happens if configure/libtool is used and
different options are given for mod_jk and apache ?

I can't give a concrete example, but APXS had the big benefit that it
"cached" all the decisions taken when Apache was built, and that insured
that the same decisions were used when building modules.

I understand that most "guesses" done by configure will be the same - so
by doing configure again we'll likely get the same flags/options, but
there are some options and some special features that could affect us in
very tricky ways.

You know all the trubles you get with KDE/Gnome when a certain binary is
linked against an older library - or the EAPI problems. It is possible
to have multiple versions of a library on a system, or to have apache
 configured to use a very specific version ( /usr/secure/libs/xxxx).

Costin