On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> > >  Justyna Horwat wrote:I looked in jakarta-tomcat-connectors and it doesn't look
>like
> > > jakarta-tomcat-connectors has been branched yet. I checked the archives
> > > and saw the vote results where it was decided that the HEAD of
> > > jakarta-tomcat-connectors will be used for Tomcat 5 and Coyote 1.0 would
> > > be branched.
> > >
> > > I'd like to request that this branch be created. Remy?
> > >
> > > The reason I ask is that I'm working on a servlet 2.4 servlet request
> > > events implementation which involves modifying CoyoteRequest.java.
> >
> > What kind of changes ? Coyote should be independent of servlet,
> > if you need to add something you can add it to the main branch.
> >
> > 2.4 should be backward compatible - so it shouldn't change any
> > behavior.
> >

> Servlet 2.4 introduces attribute change listeners on the ServletRequest
> interface, analogous to the ones on sessions and contexts.  The
> implementation of these features has to be in the concrete ServletRequest
> instance's removeAttribute() and setAttribute() methods.  See the public
> draft spec for details.
>
> In the current Catalina archtecture, the connector provides this concrete
> class -- and in the case at hand, it's CoyoteRequest.

Few alternatives to branching:
- move CoyoteRequest to jakarta-catalina ( we could also move Tomcat33
classes in tomcat33 cvs ). We agreed that tomcat depends on coyote,
not the reverse.
- create a tomcat5 dir with the new methods.

One important note: if the spec wants notification for _all_ request
attribute changes, we'll also need to implement this in coyote.Request.
Currently that require 2 new ActionCodes.

We should also add an ActionCode for _get_ attribute, to support 'lazy'
evaluation of some attributes.

3.3 uses a get/setInfo hook - it works for both Request and Context
attributes.