On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> o.a.coyote.Request doesn't have setAttribute() or replaceAttribute()
> methods, so I don't see why it would be affected -- only the Servlet 2.4
> version of CoyoteRequest would seem to matter.

???

Are we talking about the same thing ?
j-t-c/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/Request.java does have
setAttribute().

The request attributes are set by the connector - SSL stuff. For
lazy evaluation we also need a getAttribute callback.

I don't think coyote or connectors will replace attributes - at least
the attributes in 2.3 are only set once ( and in theory before the
request is served ).

> I don't understand what these have to do with the
> ServletRequest.removeAttribute() and ServletRequest.setAttribute() method
> implementations.

If you want to be notified when an attribute is added to the request -
it's not only ServletRequest.setAttribute that does that.

Again, if the spec requires notifications _only_ for attribute
changes initiated by a servlet - then it's fine to implement this
only in ServletRequest.setAttribute().