Bob Herrmann wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 13:23, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have been hinting at rewriting the main Catalina mapper for Tomcat 5.
>>
>>The proposal is designed to improve performance, avoid generating
>>uneeded garbage String objects, and optimize the welcome files processing.
>

> FYI, The 2.4 spec seems to allow servlets to handle "welcome file"
> processing too.  Not sure I understand this completely, but I am looking
> into it (with an eye towards implementing something to satisfy the 2.4
> Spec's servlets as providers of "welcome" files.  Perhaps welcome page
> would be better than 'welcome file.', but I digress)

Yes, but welcome files for non physical resources cannot be implemented
(since you have no way of asking a servlet if it can or cannot process a
resource).
I'll implement something which works and which is very close to what the
spec requires.

Again, I have sent many messages to the spec leads about this issue
without any result, so I give up ...

Remy