Remy,

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> It now looks doable with the standalone Tomcat. It may still be
> unimplementable through Apache, though.
>
> My wish would be that only physical resources can be used as welcome
> files, so that the spec is implementable through a native webserver.
> (Quite frankly, the use case for the rest is very limited, and very
> confusing; plus it would impose a complex wording in the spec - still
> not right in that version)

I really don't like this spec change either. After carefully reading the
revised wording, it still seems that spec is saying "if I can't find any
of the listed static welcome files, start looking for anything that can
serve up a response".

OK, maybe I am being overly dramatic, but it seems that the spec is
trying to apply complex pattern matching rules to when the user requests
the "/" resource and the webapp is missing all of the static welcome
file resources. As far as I can tell, the only time the servlet mapping
gets used is when the webapp has, for example "/index.html" as a welcome
file and then then the webapp developer forget to put a "index.html"
file in the webapp.

Am I missing some bigger and better feature? Or is this spec trying to
solve a problem that can be easily handled with the existing welcome
file behavior?

Patrick

Patrick Luby                     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900