On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 18:38, Patrick Luby wrote:
> Remy and Costin,
>
> I found the following draft wording that is being considered for the
> Servlet 2.4 spec. The exact wording may change, but the context should
> stay the same. Are there any unimplementable pieces in this proposed
> wording:
>
> The wording in the 4th paragraph in section 9.10 of the Servlet 2.4 spec
> may change to:
>
>    The web server must append each welcome file in the order
>    specified in the deployment descriptor to the partial request and
>    check whether a [static] resource [or servlet] in the WAR is
>    mapped to that request URI. The web container must send the
>    request to the first resource in the WAR that matches [in the
>    order of 1. a static resource, 2. a servlet that matches
>    exactly, 3. a servlet that matches according to the path
>    mapping rule].
>
> Patrick

Humm... how does this help?

First, note that the "extension mapping" is not mentioned, so things
like *.jsp, *.boo are not relevant to welcome files.

Consider this,

 <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>BooServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/boo/*</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

 <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>FooServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/boo/foo/*</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

 <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>ExServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>exactMatch</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

 <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>/boo/AlwaysGoesHere</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>/boo/foo/NeverGetsHere</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>exactMatch</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>  <!-- how come extension
mapping is ok here? or is it not ok. -->
 </welcome-file-list>

Somewhat confused (typical),
Bob