Steve,

Your assessment is correct: an aggregate header like:

   header1: val1, val2

should be converted to this for the HttpRequest:

   header1: val1
   header1: val2

Tomcat 4 used to do this conversion correctly but then it stopped doing
the conversion a few months ago.

This should be fixed as it is Servlet spec non-compliance. However, I am
not sure where the parsing of headers is now performed in Tomcat?

Can anyone point Steve to where this header parsing of the ServerSocket
input stream is being done?

Patrick

Steve Downey wrote:
> Watchdog now merges headers, by design. ie (from the checking message)
> Modified logic to send duplicate headers as one aggregated header vs. two
> headers:
>
>   header1: val1
>   header1: val2
>
>    -will now be-
>
>   header1: val1, val2
>
> Due to this, it looks like a couple of tests are failing. GetHeadersTest and
> HttpServletRequestWrapperGetHeadersTest.
>
> GetHeadersTest looks for two Accept-Language headers, en-us and ga-us. It does
> work if they are sent as
> Accept-Language:en-us
> Accept-Language:ga-us
>
> But, being sent as:
> Accept-Language:en-us, ga-us
>
> it is presented to the servlet as ONE header, with the value "en-us, ga-us"
>
> However, I'm not sure that it shouldn't be. Parsing a multivalued header is
> not only diffcult, it seems to depend on which header is being parsed.
> Certainly full interpretation is very dependent on the header, e.g.
> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 06:25:24 GMT
>
> The first has three values, the second has one. Interpretation depends on the
> name of the header. I don't believe the Request.getHeaders() mechanism should
> try and interpret the values after the :.
>

> --

Patrick Luby                     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900