Steve Downey wrote:
> On Saturday 17 August 2002 09:00 am, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>>Patrick Luby wrote:
>>
>>>Steve,
>>>
>>>Your assessment is correct: an aggregate header like:
>>>
>>>  header1: val1, val2
>>>
>>>should be converted to this for the HttpRequest:
>>>
>>>  header1: val1
>>>  header1: val2
>>
>>No, this is not correct.
>>
>>You are allowed to do that only if the application knows it makes sense
>>to do so (ie, only when it call getHeaders).
>>

> If it is to be done, it should be done based on what the HTTP/1.1 spec
> defines. The application needs to expect the possibility of multiple values
> for all of the headers that allow them. Or just ask for the first one.
> Parsing the header line into values probably shouldn't be left to the
> application, although it is at the moment.

I gave you the HTTP/1.1 answer.

For Header H: A,B
If A,B
is semantically equivalent to:
H: A
H: B
then you can parse for the comma.

So since you can't know what the application considers to be
semantically equivalent, the fact that it calls getHeaders is a big
hint, and you can do the comma parsing.

Please read the HTTP specification.

>>Some code to do that should be added in the adapter.
>>

> Do you mean in the implementation of HttpServletRequest? I was thinking of
> doing the work in MimeHeaders. Perhaps subclassing MimeHeaders into
> Http11Headers, in order to allow other RFCnnnnHeaders? Certainly
> Http11Protocol knows what kind of headers it's parsing.

You can also do it in MimeHeaders.values if you want to.

Remy