Hi,

>I think the valve is the right pattern, so thanks Craig :) The only
>thing is that we shouldn't have the ValveContext which adds complexity
>(worthless IMO, as we don't need the extra robustness for our
>proprietary API, esp since its realm of application is getting lower
due
>to the spec improvements), and we should only have next.invoke(). I

I agree that Filters have had time to mature a bit since their initial
release, and they are gaining a wider user base.  Users still don't
evaluate Filters (or for that matter, Valves or Interceptors) as much as
they should when considering design options, but that'll happen with
time.

So I agree that the Valve interface can become less flexible/robust, and
more specific to our needs, now that users can do more with filters.

>As for the listeners and stuff, I think Costin proposed using JMX.
We'll
>need to make everything JMX if we want to do that, and fix a few things
>in commons-modeler.

One area to keep in mind there is performance.  There's no argument on
the utility of JMX at all.  I also think most of the performance hit
would be at initialization (and shutdown), as you're
creating/naming/binding JMX operations/attributes.  This is better than
having a performance hit in the request processing pipeline, so we're
OK, but it's nonetheless something to keep in mind as we're adding JMX
instrumentation all over the place.

>Another thing is that we might want to write the next Tomcat for JDK
1.5.

Anything specific in JDK 1.5?  We already spoke a bit about NIO in some
form, but that's JDK 1.4.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.