Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hi,
I agree with Jess, this is the wrong direction in principle.  We're
encouraging users to stick with 4.1.x if we do this release.

Normally we have just an informal "if everyone is OK with this, I'd like
to push out release X on this day" and then a vote on labeling it as
stable.  The latter being the only official vote.  But in this case, I'd
want to have a more general vote of should we have 4.1.x maintenance
releases, given the reasons stated earlier in this thread.

If we have such a vote, and if it passes,

You have my -1 for a release.

Althrough I agree with peoples that can't move to Tomcat 5, Tomcat 5 has been available for more that 1 year. That will be good for Tomcat if people migrate from 4.1.x to 5 and find bugs (that way they will not be carried into 5.5/6).

and if you decide to go ahead
with this release, then you will probably assume responsibility for bugs
filed against 4.1.x. This is of course unofficial, but nonetheless this
type of arrangement exists with Tomcat 3.3.x.

3.3.x has been maintained because of the "fork" between 3.3 and 4.x. There is no longer such "tension" now....

None of us care much for
the 4.1.x issues now, except that Mark moved the relevant
Connector-related issues from 4.1.x to 5.0.x so that they don't get
dropped. This type of move, which I didn't like originally, should
definitely be stopped if 4.1.x is still in active development as
indicated by regular releases.

Your time is more important on 5.x IMO :-)

--Jeanfrancois

Man this is a bummer going into the weekend ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics