Vicenç Beltran wrote:
Hi,

attached you'll find a patch that changes the coyote multithreading
model to a "hybrid" threading model (NIO+Mulithread). It's fully
compatible with the existing Catalina code and is SSL enabled.

The Hybrid model breaks the limitation of one thread per connection,
thus you can have a higher number of concurrent users with a lower
number of threads.
NIO selectors are utilized to detect when a user connection becomes
active ( i.e. there is a user http request available to be read), and
then, one thread processes the connection as usual, but without blocking
on the read() operation because we know that there is one available
request.

The Hybrid model eliminates the need to close inactive connections
(especially important under high load or SSL load) and reduces the
number of necessary threads.

The patch will be also downloadable  in short from
http://www.bsc.es/edragon/.  Next week I will make available a
performance comparison between Tomcat 5.5.9 and the modified Tomcat
(Static content, Dynamic content, Secure Dynamic Content and scalability
on SMP machines). I'm testing it with RUBiS, Surge and httperf.

Now, I am working on the admission control mechanism because it should
be improved. (The number of threads doesn't limit the number of
concurrent connections so we need to limit it in some way).

I think this demonstrates the problem with trying to do stuff on your own, not looking at development activity or communicating with anyone, and then dumping a big patch (which I find quite dirty; as is, as Mladen just posted, it has zero chance of being committed) on unsuspecting developers. It's a bit a caricature of the phenomenon, actually ;)

Rémy