Have you updated the nptl-devel and glibc package for RedHat9? And are you
running the stock kernel or have you built a new kernel?

Are you using Apache in front of Tomcat?

I have a suspicion that the stock redhat kernel does something strange
with threading that a built kernel wouldn't do.

I built Apache with modjk under the RH stock kernel. Then built my own
kernel and Apache wouldn't load the modules anymore, and I think it's
because of something weird they do with threads.

Oscar