We use the same, but didn't find how to solve all the bugs. So, with such
configuration, you will encounter 3 problems :

IBM Jvm crunching all available memory
Tomcat 4.1.27 is sometimes unable to free some threads (and so you go out of
maxProcessors
IBM 1.4.1 runs more or less well with the libpthread. You could have tomcat freezing,
or JITC doing SIG11, or... Well, nothing really clear about that.

> I would like to know more about how should we go about configuring the
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> > setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.2.5

I use bash as a shell, and because our final architecture (not finished) will be of
several tomcat instances running on several nodes of a linux virtual server, I use a
script like  that :

#!/bin/bash
#
# Add your own comments
#
# Java related stuff
# We will ask GC to report problems and try to limit memory usage
#
JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-141/
JAVA_OPTS="-verbose:gc -Xmx256m -Xms256m"
#
# You can add the LD thing here :
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
#
# Catalina related stuff :
#
CATALINA_HOME=/usr/tomcat
#
# Catalina base is on an NFS server (note that this require a
# modification of bin/catalina.sh to fix the hard coded log path
#
CATALINA_BASE=/usr/tomcat
#
# PID is usefull to get good javacore when stopping Java
# You can the use kill -3 `cat $CATALINA_BASE/logs/pid` to
# have javacore in the CATALINA_BASE directory.
#
CATALINA_PID=$CATALINA_BASE/logs/pid
#
# Never forget to export ALL of it
#
export JAVA_HOME JAVA_OPTS LD_ASSUME_KERNEL CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_BASE CATALINA_PID
#
#run the startup script from Tomcat installation
#
/usr/tomcat/bin/startup.sh

> and that will do the trick? Does it depends on any kernel version?

This could, even if IBM documentation is not clear about it.