I just dropped your JSPs in a box running win2k server and tomcat 5.0.24.

They run fine, same session. Once the strings are created, they stay created,
no nulls.

I'm hitting from a linux box using Mozilla, but I also tried from MSIE on the
machine that's hosting your JSPs.

All looks good.

For kicks, try doing this:
In MSIE, click Internet Options -> Privacy (tab) -> Advanced (button)
Then check the "Always Allow Session Cookies" checkbox.
Let me know if that fixes it.

-good luck

On Friday 21 May 2004 10:36 am, M.Hockings wrote:
> Certainly !  They are attached (please don't laugh at them tooo much )
>
> BTW, I'm finding that my test server on FC1  (Tomcat 5.0.24) is working
> quite well, fast response, can deploy, undeploy reliably and sessions
> seem to work as expected.  On Win2K however the 5.0.25 version is
> considerably slower, often has to be re-started to get a successful
> deploy and every touch is a new session.  This is as configured by the
> installer (I have not changed any of the config files other than setting
> up a manager id/pwd) and the only change on install was to modify the
> install directory from c:\... to d:\...  In the past I've had Tomcat 4.0
> & 4.1 working solidly on Win2K even jk'd to Apache.    I must admit that
> I'm not a Tomcat expert, our main deployment platform is IBM's WAS but I
> like to make sure that our product runs on Tomcat as some prefer a
> different servlet container.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is I wonder if some of my woes have been
> due to trying to use Tomcat  5 on my Win2K laptop rather than a "real"
> server box.
>
> Mike
>
> Ben Souther wrote:
> >Could you just attach the src to the two JSPs?

> >>Hi !
> >>
> >>Yes, sorry, I forgot.
> >>
> >>I think for the most part the answer is no, however for these apps I'm
> >>not worried about maintaining data over a shutdown-startup of the server
> >>nor am I running in a cluster.  The interesting thing is that on Windows
> >>(Win2K to be exact) every hit to Tomcat seems to start a new session!
> >>
> >>I'm making a set of tests that will eventually work up to the actions
> >>that the application does to maintain session data.  And, yes, I will be
> >>making the session objects serializable just to avoid future problems...
> >>
> >>For your enjoyment here is the same test app on two machines, my Win2K
> >>laptop and a Linux (Fedora Core 1) server.  On Windows it is
> >>5.0.25-alpha (previously 5.0.24) and on Linux it is 5.0.24
> >>(out-of-the-box with no patches applied).  I _think_ I have the external
> >>url correct.
> >>
> >>Linux http://ontarioshoots.ath.cx:8080/TC5test/
> >>Windows http://ontarioshoots.ath.cx:8088/TC5test/
> >>
> >>If you would like the .war file that it is deployed from just let me
> >>know...
> >>
> >>Mike

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

This e-mail message, and any accompanying documents, is for the sole use of
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or
copying is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact our office by email or by telephone at (508) 747-7261 and
immediately destroy all copies of the original message.