Well, it works for me on Win2k with Tomcat-5.0.25.  Same session every post.
You don't have sessions turned off in web.xml by setting the session-timeout to
0 or -1 (can't remember which one, if any, disables sessions) by chance, do you?
 You might also check for virus or firewall softwared/hardware on your machine.
 That stuff can mess things up pretty badly.

Jake