I just built mod_jk, I think it was random luck that I actually got it running. For me, there are two things
that would help out greatly.

1) As always, documentation but in this case, as mod_jk evolves, the install docs seems to be notes that
are a diff from the previous rev. It also doesn't help that Apache is very version sensitive including the APXS
perl script. I had RH9.0 with at Apache 2.0.40 ( the default install) and the version of apxs was incomputable
with the configure script. One item that in the docs that is really needed is the section, "How to debug". I still
can't get logging to work....

2) simple things (and this exists in Tomcat also) is the deletion of the bin (with Ant.jar etc) and the build.sh
and build.bat files. I don't always install ant on my servers, so the extra steps of setting up the class path
just adds to the confusion. If you want to use Ant, then include the jars and
the setup, otherwise go back to ./configure and make.

My $0.02

-JG

Peter Alvin wrote:

Don't get me wrong; I love Java; I love Tomcat.

But why is it so incredibly painful to install Apache/Tomcat/Connector? It always takes me about two days. I look forward to it as much as doing my federal tax returns.

My 2 cents: This installation process has to get as easy as running a
setup.exe on Windows.  This process also doesn't help the Java cause,
either.  Sorry for whining!

Specifically: Do others feel the same way? Is anyone addressing this
problem? Or is it just impossible to come up with a super-easy install process because there are so many different systems/processors that Linux supports?

Peter Alvin
mobile 719-210-3858