I really don't want to add to this heated debate but I feel I must.

Posts by Yoav and QM point to the inherent problem with open source software
development.  It's obvious to me ( and probably to everyone else that uses
it ) that then entire process of installing mod_jk is broken.  It takes too
much fiddling and effort.

When some one point's this out on the mailing list we get responses like:

        "If mod_jk isn't to your liking -- and I see there have been a fair
number of gripes (warranted or not, I won't answer to that ;) -- then you're
free to write another." - QM

        and...

        "All I said mod_jk is trivial to download (I didn't say anything
about installation), the connector documentation is not a high priority for
at least some of the tomcat developers, and that if someone wants to bitch
and moan without contributing they're welcome to, but they shouldn't expect
people to care.  All that's not only true but mostly self-evident
;)" - Yaov.

In one sense they are right.  This is an open source project and we have to
power to add to the code.  In another sense, they are dead wrong.  Many sys
admins are trying to move their companies into the open source space but
managers are unwilling because they can pay for commercial projects that
come with support to get projects moving.  I know (from experience) if my
manager is faced with spending $1000 for a commercial web container (Orion,
Resin, JRun, whatever...) or paying for me to fiddle with mod_jk for three
days, it's a no brain'r.  The commercial container wins every time.  Since
I'm a developer it's actually cheaper both in the short run and the long
run.

The Tomcat devs should realize that the squeaky wheel gets the grease for a
reason.  If a lot of people are complaining about mod_jk, it's broken.
Weather technically broken or perceptually broken does not matter.  Broken
is broken.

Regards,

Lon