On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

| Hi,
| I would point out a few things:

 [ - chop - ]

Do you really deny that mod_jk is somewhat hard to install? I mean,
probably 50% av the "OH MY WHATEVER - I CAN'T GET THIS TO WORK!!!" mails
are related to mod_jk..

| Moreover, as Tomcat as maturing the importance of the connectors in
| general is going down IMHO, with more and more standalone installations.

What if you run some PHP stuff and some Servlet stuff on the same
servername? Or simply many tomcats behind a front-end?
  Even if it isn't for anything else, a transparent forwarding mechanism
between a "specific subset of the server's URL namespace" (quote from
ServletContext) of the server holding the listen call at port 80, and
Tomcat, will always be needed, I believe.

The mod_jk approach of inventing a new binary protocol and whatnot is
maybe not the right solution for this. A simple raw forwarding of the
requests from Apache HTTPD to Apache Tomcat would be incredibly nice.

Others probably likes the "enterprise features" (a/k/a clustering) of
mod_jk better, and thus won't be happy with a simple forward..

One also have other HTTP servers than Apache, in particular IIS.

Endre

PS: Is it possible to get mod_proxy to do this raw forwarding perferctly?
(SSL? Client certificates? persistent connections, pipelining, ALL headers
and whatnots?) ..