I had always thought all sessions were lost when the server restarts.  In
fact I just tried it and confirmed that (5.0.28).  Are we maybe talking
about 2 different things?

I have nonstandard config (a very sparse server.xml, no explicit Manager
configured in server/web/context xml), and I do not use TC
authentication/realms, I just use request.getSession(true) and rely on
cookies to track users.  After a restart, the webapp has lost track of users
that were tracked right up to the restart.

Is this the manager config ref you were talking about?
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/manager.html

I just read through it.  If I've understood correctly, because my Manager is
not explicitly configured, I have a default session manager implicitly.  I
stopped the server and looked for the serialised session file under /work
but just found the usual .java and .class files and one file called
tldCache.ser, no sessions.ser or anything that looks like a serialised
session file.