> aha. so it looks like it's something I screwed up ;)

I don't know. I just know that, in my case, the object that I put into
session survives restarts. The easiest way to test things like this, for
me, is to write a small test app and run it on a fresh install of
Tomcat. If it works there then I start comparing with my app.

> out of interest, does contextDestroyed work on that platform?

It does, I tested on win2k as a service, from the start menu items, and
with the .bat scripts.  I also tested on FC2 and RH73. In all cases
contextDestroyed was called.

-Ben