Here some info I found:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/manager.html

but...:
------cut ---------
Persistent Manager Implementation

WARNING - Use of this Manager implementation has not been thoroughly
tested, and should be considered experimental!

---- end cut ------

Can anybody confirm what is a status for Persistent Manager in Tomcat
5.0.X? is it stable, is it safe to use in production and if not what
are other options.

and here another link with detailed info on Persistent Manager:
http://www.devx.com/assets/download/6264.pdf

Mark.