Hi,

>I had always thought all sessions were lost when the server restarts.
In
>fact I just tried it and confirmed that (5.0.28).  Are we maybe talking
>about 2 different things?

I think we're talking about the same thing.  Sessions are supposed to be
persisted by default.

>I have nonstandard config (a very sparse server.xml, no explicit
Manager

You need a Manager.  When I said "by default" I mean out of the box,
i.e. with the default server.xml, which has such a Manager IIRC.

>Is this the manager config ref you were talking about?
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/manager.html

Yeah.

>I just read through it.  If I've understood correctly, because my
Manager
>is
>not explicitly configured,

There's a difference between not explicitly configured and not declared
at all.

One way to test this is with an
HttpSessionListener/HttpSessionActivationListener (one listener can
implement both interfaces and thereby capture all four relevant events).
It's trivial to write one that just prints out information when sessions
are created, destroyed, passivated, and activated.

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.