From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 20 October 2001 19:42
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Debugging in Tomcat 4

On 20 Oct 2001, Dr. Evil wrote:

> Date: 20 Oct 2001 04:58:07 -0000
> From: Dr. Evil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Debugging in Tomcat 4
>

> This is very painful.  The log() facility is great... in classes which
> have the appropriate servlet packages imported.  However, if I am
> using other classes which don't import those packages, then I don't
> have log().  System.out.println() doesn't display anything to console
> or any logs.

Not true.

Using the default startup scripts, System.out.println() on Windows *does*
go to the console window.  On Unix systems, it defaults to the file
$CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out, which you can snoop on by typing:

    tail -f $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out

while Tomcat is running.

If you want to use a logging package like Log4J in your application, that
works fine as well - just put log4j.jar inside your /WEB-INF/lib directory
and go for it.

Craig