Check out JSwat debugger (its free):  http://www.bluemarsh.com/java/jswat/
There is even a JSwat plugin if you use jEdit as your code editor.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Evil [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 11:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Debugging in Tomcat 4

This is very painful.  The log() facility is great... in classes which
have the appropriate servlet packages imported.  However, if I am
using other classes which don't import those packages, then I don't
have log().  System.out.println() doesn't display anything to console
or any logs.  Running Tomcat in a debugger is challenging.  I'm left
with... hmm, not much other than throwing exceptions, but that's not a
good way to see something in operation.  So how do people debug with
Tomcat?  If there is no way to look at internal state of methods as
they are going, then that is a major, major failure of the product,
right?  Even a simple method can have some logic errors in it.  I
can't imagine trying to write a large, complex class without any form
of debugging.

Thanks