Andy Carlisle wrote:

>>For purposes of recording this on the user group so that others may
>>benefit (if they bother to check first that is ;-> ), here is exactly
>>what I did:
>>

> Thank you, Jeffrey, for posting the steps needed to get mod_webapp built
> for Debian. I was able to walk through the steps and (for the first time)
> got everything installed. I could not start the httpd server, however, as
> the following complaint occurs:
>
>     Syntax error on line 126 of /opt/apache-2.0.35/conf/ssl.conf:
>     Invalid port number (p<1) No "Port" statement found

Let me quess: your WebApp* configs are inside a VirtualHost subsection?
  Two solutions:
(1) move them outside of the VirtualHost to the main config section (and
make sure you have a Listen directive specifying at least the port #); or
(2) inside the VirtualHost, also define a ServerName with both the host
and port (e.g. ServerName www.mydomain.com:80)

Both ways worked for me.  #2 is a workaround for an existing bug in the
mod_webapp code (Bug #4042).

> Line 126 is the first WebAppDeploy statement and it sits in the ssl.conf
> file (I want to run the web applications over an SSL connection). Of
> course, under apache-2.0.x there is no Port statement as it's been
> replaced by Listen. There is a Listen 443 statement in the file.
>
> Here's some other basic information about my setup:
>
> - using Debian Woody on an H-P NetServer LC 3 (x86)
> - compiled mod_webapp from CVS as of this afternoon
> - Tomcat 4.0.3
>
> Question: Has anyone got mod_webapp working on a 2.0.35 server with
> mod_ssl built in? Is there some trick I'm missing? I'd appreciate any help
> anyone could give me. Many thanks.
>
> Andy
>
> P.S.: I've also tried mod_jk, which I can get to run, but soon after it is
> started the httpd processes one by one start consuming all of the CPU
> power on the system. I can kill the offending processes, but new ones soon
> take back over. I had not had this problem with 1.3.24 + mod_ssl + mod_jk.
> Again, if someone has an idea on how to make this work, I would very much
> appreciate it. At this point I just need something that runs reliably on a
> 2.0.35 httpd server. Thanks.

Jeffrey Bonevich
Ann Arbor, Michigan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]