Quoting  peter lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hanks Mei wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Sorry mail client got corrupted, so just copied your mail and
> > see inline for answers
> >
> > For Peter:
> >
> > >Are you using tomcat 4.0.3 _ jdk1.4 on Solaris?
> > NOPE!! Using Linux 6.1 RH
> >
> > >1. pages with lots of tags (50+) do not perform well under load
> > >2. pages with 100+ tags may not compile due to 64K per method
> limitation
> > >in Java. This particular issue is currently being address by a
> couple
> > >developers and should be fixed in 4.1.x.
> > I understand that there will be a performance degradation when tag
> > libraries are used.But still the same page must be in the
> > same range right??
> > >3. deeply nested try/catch statements result in rapid performance
> > degredation under load
> >
> > Well, maybe i need to check the tag''''s code for nested try/catch
> > I don''''t remember adding any, anyway will check this.
>
> the deeply nested try/catch is the generated jsp source under
> tomcat/work/localhost/.  It has nothing to do with the tag itself,
> unless you're using custom tags which you wrote. If you're using jstl,
> struts or some third party tag, it's unlikely there would be deeply
> nested try/catch.

Yup I have used my own custom tags. They don't  have nested try/catches

> > >There are a couple things that will improve the situation. When
> tomcat
> > >4.0.4 comes out, it has a recent patch which fixes deeply nested
> > try/catch. Also, tomcat 4.0.4 has a new httpconnector called coyote.
> > >Together the performance improves dramatically such that the number
> of
> > >concurrent requests triples. Also, the response time improves
> >
> > Maybe I will try with 4.0.4& 4.1.3
> >
> > >significantly. If you''re page still performs poorly, try breaking it
> up
> > >into include files and use action include instead of include
> directive.
> > >I.e use <c:import> or <jsp:include>, instead of <%@ include %>. I
> hope
> > >that helps.
> > But using includes/forwards will increase the performance load,
> rather
> > than decreasing it. B''''cos the request handler has to process
> > the request and there is always an overhead in using includes
>
> believe it or not, for 8+ concurrent requests, the performance could be
> better. You can search the tomcat-dev  and tomcat-user list for the
> benchmarks I posted a while back. With one request, using include
> directive is faster, but you run into the 64K per method limit 4.0.3
> jasper. You may not be able to break a long jsp page into discrete
> pieces, but doing so does improve performance under load. I've done
> tests where I wrote the same pages using both tags and scriplets. The
> scriplets has the lower memory and performance overhead compared tags.

Well try this approach before deployment. Thanks for the tip peter.
But right now I just have a small page with 4-5 tag libraries. which just retrieve
information
from a bean(where data is hard coded) and displayed in the page.

> One thing to remember is tomcat handles each request in one thread, so
> when action include is used, there's more than one thread handling the
> request. If the page is broken up correctly, the page will perform
> better than include directive. This is especially true if all the set
> calls are at the very beginning of the page and do not occur through
> the
R u talking about the bean's set calls? any way we r having the bean's set calls
in the beginning.
> rest. Breaking up the rendering logic to chunks will speed up the
> response time.

Will surely try this out.
> peter

> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>