Quoting  peter lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hanks Mei wrote:
>
> > Well try this approach before deployment. Thanks for the tip peter.
> > But right now I just have a small page with 4-5 tag libraries. which
> just retrieve information
> > from a bean(where data is hard coded) and displayed in the page.
>
> when you say "hard coded" I am interpreting this as the data is in the
> bean and does not get it from a database, file or some other remote
> source.

Yup, you are right

> Have you tried using JMeter to benchmark the pages?  some of
> the
> things I've done to track down performance issues is to look at the
> "standard deviation" or "variance" of the responses. Something weird
> must be happening if you're seeing a range of 90-2200. I am guessing
> the
Not really worked much with JMeter.Will try it out.
> standard deviation will be 3-4x the average. If that is the case, a
> likely culprit is garbage collection. If you have any synchronized
> blocks or use a lot of local variable, it may be triggering GC
> prematurely.

This could be my problem, because the in the test page I have
duplicated 5 times (a block of 5 JSP tags, inserted in a table).
The jsp code generation instantiates the tag libraries. And this might cause
the GC problem.

As I see there is no tag pooling support as of now in 4.x.
If my memory serves me right, it was lastly supported in 3.3.
Let me know if it is avaiable in 4.x
> keep in mind when GC is triggered, all processes are blocked, until GC
> is done. One way to see if that is the case is to start tomcat with
> higher heap settings. try heap settings of 120min 180max and see if
> that
> helps.

> If that improves the performance it's likely GC is the cause.
> find out for sure, use JProbe thread profiler to see exactly what is
> happening and what classes are being garbaged.
>
> I hope that helps.

Will also try increasing the heap and using JProbe.
Thx
mano