Thank you!

I just upgraded to 2.0.14 with no change in behavior.

I suppose I am a bit confused, and perhaps a bit of detail on what I have
done might help.

I open mysql with
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql:///mydatabase","nexw","")
where nexw is the username and there is no password.

I have already used two different grants:
         grant all privileges on mydatabase/* to nexw@localhost;         <a
guess because the next try didn't work
         grant all privileges on mydatabase/* to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  <which works on wintel and linux

server.xml has this context for the program: