Been wondering some things about this thread --

Jack, what UNIX user owns MySQL? Likewise, Tomcat? And what UNIX user
are they each being run by?

> I continue to get the sql exception using the above software and
> mm.mysql 2.0.8 drivers.
> MySql is 3.23.51 downloaded from entropy.ch
>
> I have granted permission to the program for both localhost (a guess) and
> localhost.localdomain (which I needed on wintel and linux).
>
> While roaming with google, someone
> (http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7737&highlight=mysq
> l+java) solved (I think) the same problem by making a new root user with
> host = % (I confess: I have no idea how to do that!).  I tried making my
> program (the name I use to open a connection to mysql) a Mac User.  Nothing
> changed.

Do you mean to say that you tried adding a UNIX user called mysql? Did
use chown on the mysql distribution to change the user/group
appropriately? Did you set up your sudoers and use sudo to run mysql?

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>