On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 20:24, William Lee wrote:

> Hmm, it may have something to do with the kernel, I'll try later to see
> whether this is the case.  I don't think the log gives me much though.
> Anyhow, I've made a weird discovery that I found interesting.

After the other info you gave me, I am less concerned with the kernel
now. I would still upgrade it, though. There is a nasty networking bug
in the 2,4,9 kernel, I believe, that effects scalability.

> It seems like there's a "barrier" when the JVM consume around 90MB of
> RAM.  Once the JVM got over that barrier, then things will keep working.

You may be dealing with garbage collection issues. If the GC gets going
before that, it will lock everything up while it GCs.

Try messing with the following options:

-Xms and  -Xmx using CATALINA_OPTS set in the startup script. For
example:

CATALINA_OPTS=-Xms128M -Xmx2048M

would set the heap size minimum to 128meg and would force garbage
collection at 2048meg. Play with that and see how it affects the
slowdown.

You can alos set two other options to help out debugging:

-Xincgc and -Xloggc:gcinfo.log

I forgot what the first setting does (ingrease GC?) but the second one
turns on logging when it garbage collects. If you watch that file as the
failure happens, you can tell if garbage collecting is having an effect
or not.

HTH,

Ben Ricker
Wellinx, Inc.