Ben Ricker wrote:
On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 20:24, William Lee wrote:

Hmm, it may have something to do with the kernel, I'll try later to see whether this is the case. I don't think the log gives me much though. Anyhow, I've made a weird discovery that I found interesting.

After the other info you gave me, I am less concerned with the kernel
now. I would still upgrade it, though. There is a nasty networking bug
in the 2,4,9 kernel, I believe, that effects scalability.

It seems like there's a "barrier" when the JVM consume around 90MB of RAM. Once the JVM got over that barrier, then things will keep working.

Well, it turned out this problem may not have anything to do with the JVM at all.

After trying various different JREs, -X flags, and garbage collection info, etc, I updated my tomcat to 4.1.14 (test) and now I got the following exception in stdout when I got into the situation where the connection hung:

Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog does not implement Log
at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:555)
at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:289)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:409)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.CommonLogHandler.log(CommonLogHandler.java:97)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:198)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:192)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:165)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool.logFull(ThreadPool.java:260)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool.runIt(ThreadPool.java:226)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:509)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:533)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:512)

Looking into the 4.1.14 source code it turned out that the thread (maybe the connection thread?) just died when calling the function logFull(), and somehow log4j failed to do so (?). Does this have anything to do with class loader and using different versions of log4j? Does anyone know how tomcat logged its messages?

--
William Lee (Will) | Sendmail Inc.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.sendmail.com