Howdy,
Are you saying garbage collection never happens?  Or that it never
de-allocates anything?  The overall resident process size will never
decrease, only increase up to the limit you (sort of) specify using
parameters like -Xmx.  Java will allocate memory as needed up to that
limit, and release it back to the heap (but not to the OS) during
garbage collection.

Could it be that you simply need more than the default 64MB memory?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics