On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 07:07, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Howdy,
> Are you saying garbage collection never happens?  Or that it never
> de-allocates anything?
Actually, it seems to do both according to my profiling software (Using
Inprise Optimizeit). I can see when the garbage collector runs, and when
it does all the objects are reclaimed and it deallocates, but my
resident memory keeps rising.

> The overall resident process size will never
> decrease, only increase up to the limit you (sort of) specify using
> parameters like -Xmx.  Java will allocate memory as needed up to that
> limit, and release it back to the heap (but not to the OS) during
> garbage collection.
Ahhh...this helps. I believe my limit is 128m. I noticed that each of my
java processes (individual java threads) comes near that before the "out
of memory" error. Perhaps that is what I am noticing. I still do not
know why I am getting it though.

> Could it be that you simply need more than the default 64MB memory?
I don't know. The machine has 1GB of physical and 2GB virtual memory.
With the total of java processes at 64MB each and 57 of them running, my
machine is almost depleated.