Denise Mangano wrote:
Wow.  Thank you all so much for responding to this question.  Its getting
quite frustrating hearing them saying CGI CGI CGI...  especially since they
are looking for a 'quick' solution and haven't done any research to the
advantages/disadvantages of using one technology over the other.

This project is to design a system that will one day (hopefully) be
implemented in one of the largest hospitals in the area.  This is definitely
not child's play - it will not only be important for this project to be
maintainable, but also to be expandable to meet the growing needs of the
client.  Personally, when I think CGI, I think of some rinky dink site that
people put up to sell the useless items collecting dust at home.  Forgive me
if I am offending anyone, I am sure that CGI does have its good qualities...
PHP was suggested but the ones who were adamant about CGI tossed that out
the window... I would rather have to struggle through learning PHP then to
use CGI!

I would only add two things to all the good words already said:
1) If the site is to be 'secure', then you will have to worry about things like user identification and authorisation, and maintaining sessions - this comes 'virtually free' with servlets, and, in my experience, is a major hassle with CGI.
2) Try looking at HTML template processors, such as Jakarta's 'Velocity' project as an alternative to JSPs - I have found Velocity + Servlet a much 'cleaner' solution to my problems than JSPs (of course, YMMV!).

HTH Martin