You're aware that there are two components to the Apache connectors, and that building Tomcat from source will only build CoyoteConnector and do nothing for mod_jk2.so, the Apache module? And that there is a much easier way to build mod_jk2.so if, in fact, that is what you are trying to do? You can just download the mod_jk2.so source, then:

./buildconf.sh
./configure --with-apxs=/some/path/to/apxs
make
make install

John

Mark F wrote:

Shapira, Yoav wrote:
| Howdy,
| I've built tomcat 4.1.24 (and for that matter, nearly every 4.x and
| 5.x
| version) on Solaris 8 a bunch of times without a problem... What
| exactly
| are you running into?
|
| Yoav Shapira
| Millennium ChemInformatics

Well at the moment the problem seems to be with the build-catalina target, can't find source files:

build-catalina:
    [javac] Compiling 360 source files to
/export/home/temp/appserv/needed/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/build/server/cl
asses
    [javac] This version of java does not support the classic compiler;
upgrading to modern
    [javac]
/export/home/temp/appserv/needed/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/a
pache/catalina/servlets/HTMLManagerServlet.java:86: package
org.apache.commons.fileupload does not exist
    [javac] import org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileItem;

... more errors like the one above then ....

    [javac]
/export/home/temp/appserv/needed/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/a
pache/catalina/servlets/HTMLManagerServlet.java:216: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class FileItem
    [javac] location: class org.apache.catalina.servlets.HTMLManagerServlet
    [javac]                 FileItem item = (FileItem) iter.next();
    [javac]                                  ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    [javac] 8 errors

----

I'm hoping that building from source will eliminate some problems I'm having
with the binary mod_jk2 connector, I've only been able to get it to work
with channel sockets and even then it is constantly complaining in the logs
with something along the lines of:

[Thu Jul 24 10:59:07 2003] [error] ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable
error 120000
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:16 2003] [error] channelSocket.receive(): Error receiving
message body -1 131
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:16 2003] [error] workerEnv.processCallbacks() Error
reading reply
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:16 2003] [error] ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable
error 120000
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:25 2003] [error] channelSocket.receive(): Error receiving
message body -1 131
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:25 2003] [error] workerEnv.processCallbacks() Error
reading reply
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:25 2003] [error] ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable
error 120000
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:26 2003] [error] channelSocket.receive(): Error receiving
message body -1 131
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:26 2003] [error] workerEnv.processCallbacks() Error
reading reply
[Thu Jul 24 10:59:26 2003] [error] ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable
error 120000

We need UNIX sockets because performance is miserable and while I think the
app itself may be somewhat at fault we have shaved 3-4 seconds off each page
rendering (query return) by bypassing apache.  This tells me there is a
serious bottleneck with mod_jk2.

I've implemented a compression filter and that seems to help some but it
also seems to cause the output to be buffered, which I don't like.

Your help is really appreciated.

-Mark