Hello,
At Wednesday 26 September 2012 12:07:17 DaB. wrote:
> > Even if
> > I would begin this very instance I doubt I would be finish in December
> > 2013; and it would need the same 18 servers (or better: more).
>
> The database servers (replicated and user-databases) are going to be
> provided by the Labs infrastructure. That's the majority of
> Toolserver's servers. We have shared storage provided already.

Let me count:
-2 userland-server (linux)
-1 userland-server (solaris)
-2 web-servers (solaris)
-1 web-serever (linux) (for testing)
-2 HA-nodes
-2 aux-servers
-1 server for the roots
-1 user-db-server
-5 replicated db-servers

6 vs 11 – clearly the majority ;-)

> The capacity of Labs is far greater than Toolserver's. We have a
> cluster in the pmtpa and eqiad datacenters. Each cluster has 7 compute
> nodes for virtual machines, 2 database servers for replicas, 1
> database server for user databases and 4 storage nodes for shared
> storage access.

So you have 2 database servers for 7 wmf-clusters? You are poorer than we are.

> It's definitely possible to re-create Toolserver inside of Labs. I'm
> not suggesting that's what should be done for a migration, but it's an
> option.

So who is helping me to install solaris? Who is helping me to port our self-
written software over? Who is helping me to change the self-written scripts?
Who is helping me to convert our jira-bugs into your bugzilla? Who will update
all the wiki-pages?

The toolserver is not just a simple Debian with a puppet-system running; its
much more complex. And while I'm sure that I could re-build something similar
in labs in a great time-window, it would just be something similar, not the
same; many tools would break (if you have time, take a look in our JIRA for
things that are not working on Debian, but on work on Solaris).

Sometimes I have the feeling WMF and WMDE thinks that we can shutdown the TS
on a Friday, rsync the stuff at the weekend, power-up labs at Monday and
everything will work….

> - Ryan

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Userpage: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]] — PGP: 2B255885