On 26/09/12 08:27, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
>> Yes, I know about MMP. It was introduced much later, after people were
>> already very used to doing things in an individualized manner. From
>> what I'm told MMPs aren't used much.
>
> So you think that even new users (I believe many users arrived after MMP
> were introduced) are not using MMP due to bad old habits of the other
> users?
> I've had a hard time trying to convince some users to use a MMP; I think
> it's not trivial to understand what models actually work and are liked.

The reason is as simple as being much more easier, run mkdir and start
coding vs open a jira request to get a new MMP for a project which may
or may not be interesting (heh, most tools were probably born after
coding for a couple of hours after having a good idea) and which nobody
is wanting to maintain with you, probably.

Ryan wrote:
> Toolserver's model is fundamentally different. It's based on an old
> concept of shared hosting. Labs is built on a model more like a VPS
> (really more like EC2). Due to that, it's possible to give users far
> more rights.

labs model didn't exist when the toolserver started. This route was the
only 'normal' one to follow, specially with a single server.
It even looks too new for labs right now.

> If you guys want to build the exact same Toolserver
> environment as a Labs project, go for it. I have a good feeling you'll
> start doing things differently when you see the affordances given by
> having more rights, though.

I have a few ideas on how to improve it on webtools, based on toolserver
experience, but without big changes.

> MMPs aren't a very elegant solution. I'd prefer not to
> force an inelegant solution into a system that allows much more
> elegant approaches.

Actually, I'm unsure on how to replicate MMP accounts there. It
shouldn't need to manually create them everywhere. The elegant solution
is probably to have those accounts in LDAP... Any ideas?