On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Giampaolo Fadel<gp.fa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/10 Steve Borho <st...@borho.org>
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Giampaolo Fadel<gp.fa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm working to improve the help system of THG
>> > you can find my work at http://bitbucket.org/paolof/thg-manual/wiki/Home
>>
>> Excellent.
>

> Thanks
>>
>> > Note
>> > - It is only an experimental work.
>> > - Not all the wiki tags are translated.
>> > - It may be not aligned with the last version of wiki manuals.
>>
>> We can move these out of the Wiki if creole is not a supported target
>> of the document tools you end up using.  That's an easy trade-off to
>> pick up CHM and PDF formats.  The manuals are better served from
>> static HTML anyway.
>

> As said in my wiki page I'm not an expert of wiki, so I accept any help
> concerning wiki > docbook and docbook > wiki.
> Honestly speaking I don't like to use the wiki as the main authoring way, so
> I prefer to don't spend more time investigating in a wiki>docbook converter.
> Instead docbook>wiki is more interesting.
>

>> FWIW: the current Wiki pages are mostly out of date as well.
>
> At least is a starting point.
>

>> > - The stylesheet must be improved.
>> > - The build system is done via batch with some hard coded path, it must
>> > be
>> > improved using docbook catalogs.
>> > - The build system and requirements must be described.
>> > - The build system runs only on windows.
>> > - If accepted the thg-manual should be moved in tortoisehg account of
>> > bitbucket.
>>
>> Certainly.
>>
>> > - The translation system must be studied. If use GetText or different
>> > repository (or subfolder)
>>
>> At first glance, it doesn't look like a good match for gettext.
>
> This is my thought too. But a quick look into the source of "Mercurial:The
> definitive guide" or "TortoiseSVN manual" (both written in docbook), make me
> realize that they use gettext. Any help is welcome.
>
> So, if you like it obviusly, I'll improve all the mentioned points. When all
> it is enogh stable it's better to move the repository in the tortoisehg
> account of bitbucket, so all the people can collaborate. (TortoiseSVN use a
> doc folder inside the main project).

Which isn't a bad idea since the documentation can be updated on the
development branch as new features are added.  The main reason the
wiki docs are out of date is that they must describe the current
stable release so I can't change them until the release date when I'm
more occupied with bugs and installer business.

--
Steve Borho