But that “only 44.1kHz is allowed for DSD outputs and inputs” applies to
the base frequency.  As far as I can tell, isn't that different from the
actual sampling rate?  Looking at the manual:

1FS / 2FS: Selects the sample rate for PCM data. FS is the base
frequency (see 44.1 / 48 switch). 2FS position will mute outputs when
the oversampling ratio is set to 128.

44.1 / 48: Selects the base frequency (only 44.1kHz is allowed for DSD
outputs and inputs).

Now, I don't own this thing nor have I ever used it but it seems like
the 1FS/2FS switch is the actual thing that sets the sample rate.  So
if you select 44.1 as the base frequency and then set it to 2FS for the
sample rate, that would give you 88.2 as the sampling rate, wouldn't it?
Am I understanding this wrong?

--
cwp97