maggior;535579 Wrote:
> Has anybody compared the headphone out of the Touch to the SB3's
> headphone out?  I ended up using a headphone amp with the SB3 because I
> could hear noise (probably from the CPU) when plugging directly into the
> SB3.  I recall others experiencing the same with the SB3.  I'm wondering
> if I'm going to have to do the same thing with the Touch, especially
> since it will be put to headphone listening/controller duty.
>
> Regarding the "unknown reason for the SQ difference between FLAC and
> WAV on the touch when using the internal server" issue - could it be
> due to increaceed CPU usage to decode the FLAC files?  The increased
> CPU activity could presumably inject more noise into the audio section.

The electrical noise levels in the Touch (both on the board traces and
EM fields in space) are much lower than for the SB3. The result is much
lower noise in general on all outputs.

The WAV/FLAC or TinySBS / external SBS is rather interesting. Both
Phill and my tests have shown that there is no difference on the analog
outs for these different configurations. Yet I can hear it via the
headphones.

What I HAVE measured is that there is an increase in jitter on the
clock lines when the headphones are inserted, the jitter spectrum is
based on 120HZ, NOT random noise or music correlated. My guess is that
the headphone amp has to supply some significant current into the
headphones and this extra current is slightly changing the behavior of
the voltage regulators/power supply and letting some line frequency
ripple into the circuits. My guess is that once this is happening and
the power system has been pulled out of its best operating mode the
slight differences due to cpu load/memory access patterns etc are
showing up a little more on the supply lines.

Note this is NOT proven, just conjecture it will take a lot more
testing with headphones plugged in, out, maybe dummy loads of different
resistances etc. There is a lot of work to do to find out what is
happening.

Btw my testing in general (not specifically on the Touch, but computers
in general) seem to point to the issues NOT being CPU load itself that
is the issue, but more along the lines of memory access patterns,
certain patterns wind up with instructions being kept in cache which
will cause fewer main memory accesses. So subtle changes in program or
data can easily change cache usage which can have a big impact on
memory bus usage even though average CPU utilization stays the same.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson