Hi Alex,
when you say looking at the drive do you mean you have it shared across
the network and you are looking at it with another computer?

I would do two things at this point, look at the log file and see whats
going on. There are probably messages about what is going on in the log
file.

The other is to ssh into the Touch and run "top", this will give a
continuously refreshing list of processes on the Touch and how much cpu
and memory they are using.

On my system when just playing files both the server (the big perl
processes) and jive (the player process) take between 6-10% CPU when
playing in the middle of a song. They both take a little when changing
between tracks. It would be really interesting to see the CPU
percentages when this behavior happens.

>From your description it sounds like doing something else with the disk
is causing something to not keep up with the music. Looking at the log
files will help a lot.

It might also be interesting to find out how long it takes for the
behavior to start after accessing the disk. If reading the disk
remotely causes the problem, try playing a long track,(preferably 5-10
minutes long), wait until a minute into the song, then start accessing
the disk remotely and time how long it takes for the music playback to
be compromised.

Its a little hard to tell right now whether the problem is in the
server or the player.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson