In the U.S., I was able to buy a barebones MSI Wind Desktop PC (Atom
processor), 2 Gb of RAM, and a green 1 Tb hard-drive for around $225
after rebate from newegg.com.

I loaded Ubuntu (Linux, free) from a thumb-drive and loaded SB Server
without too much trouble.  (I had never used Linux before.)

I was even able to configure the Server Power Control App to
automatically make the machine sleep at night after music has not
played for a certain amount of time.

I looked at the other options, but this seemed to meet all of my
criteria: energy-efficient, flexible, cheap.

The Ubuntu machine plays perfectly on my Windows based network.  I use
a freeware program called SyncBack to transfer ripped music from my
main computer to the server.

As a happy by-product, I discovered that I can use the new machine as
an always-on print server and a file back-up server.  It also is great
for email and web browsing; so much so, that I am now infrequently
turning on my power-hungry main computer.

My monitor has two inputs so I can keep both computers plugged-in, but
I can also access the server by remote desktop, or I can access the SB
Server through a web browser from any other computer on the network.

The new machine has been continuously turned on for about six months
now without a problem (knock on wood :) ).

--
Robb_G