JohnSwenson;549063 Wrote:
> I think there are some misconceptions here, I'll try and clear them up.
> <snip>
> What I hear is the question, so what do you need the database for? All
> I want to do is give a file name and play that file" Is this a correct
> summation? The answer is that currently information about the file that
> people like having displayed about the song is in the database, such as
> song name, artist, album etc.
> <snip>

Thanks John for taking the time to explain, I appreciate it.

To put things into context: I bought the Beosound 2 as soon as it came
out (I preferred it over the original iPod which was available around
that time). So from that you can probably guess that the only thing I
care about is the music, I can well do without any information besides
the filename (and that's a freebie even without a database, right?).
The big colour display doesn't matter to me, I have 2 Transporters
right now and they do all I need.

Now, in my case I bought the Touch (rather than another Transporter)
because I don't have a network at work to connect up with. The
perspective of just putting the music on a harddisk and being able to
listen to it in high quality (as opposed to e.g. using my PC) was
appealing to me.
The Touch is currently connected to a dedicated headphone amp (Ray
Samuels Emmeline 2 Raptor) that is driving Sennheiser HD800s.

The sound quality of the Touch is really good and I had no issues using
it with my Squeezebox network at home.
But as I said before: all I now get after the scan terminated is 5
seconds of music - 2 minutes of silences - 5 seconds of music - ...
I guess anybody would agree that not having metadata information
displayed is a small price to pay for being able to listen to music *at
all*?

Thanks!

--
SQez