pippin;559850 Wrote:
> Oh, there are probably dozens on the App Store, too. Apple doesn't check
> for the licensing in advance, they pull them when a complaint from a
> license holder comes in. I have five or six none of whose is still on
> the App Store.

Haven't heard of Palm pulling apps yet, but they've had more pressing
issues to worry about than app licensing. Who knows what will happen
later.

pippin;559850 Wrote:
> Well. The problem is a significant amount of functionality is not
> documented.
Like most things with squeezeboxes. :)

pippin;559850 Wrote:
> So I decided to port Squeezeplay's audio part which is not too difficult
> on the protocol level but becomes increasingly so if you get into the
> details. Lots of libraries, then there's licensing again (I don't want
> to pay for an mp3 codec if there's already one on the iPhone) and so
> on.
It's always the details that get you:) From the packets I captured it
looks like after a bunch of handshake,control and status messages, it
just tells to player to open a http stream, is that just a regular
music stream that you can ask the underlying audio system to open?  I
compared the beginning of flac stream w/ the spec and it seems pretty
standard.

pippin;559850 Wrote:
> The problem with the App Store is not really the license. It's that GPL
> requires you to put your own code under GPL, too. I don't plan to do
> that plus I use stuff from Apple that has license terms that are not
> compatible (it's sample code where I can't redistribute the source
> code) so I would have to re-write that. Plus there's stuff like
> Logitech artwork (player icons,...) and and and...
> GPL is just a horrible mess, it's more dogmatic than the catholic
> church.

So squeezeslave is straight GPL? It doesn't have any LGPL stuff that
you could just use as is? GPL is a pain. Giving away your code is
great, but forcing people to make their code free too even if your code
is only a small part of their code just doesn't seem right.

--
wt0