woodnut;561668 Wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have been looking at the Sheevaplug mentioned to me by a forum member
> in one of my older threads and although my SB Touch is working fine as a
> standalone at the moment (ripped 120 CDs so far) I wondered if there
> would be any sonic benefit to getting a NAS such as the sheevaplug in
> the future?
>
> Would I be able to do all the Flac decoding on the sheeva as
> recommended in soundchecks SB Touch Mods blog? Would I be able to do
> the other mods recommended in that blog?
>

> Many thanks!

Is there some reason it has to be a SheevaPlug? One can buy/build a
dedicated Music Server from an Atom MB and 30 Watt case running
Vortexbox OS for very little money and if purchased have a turn key
server or just adding the Vortexbox OS to a DIY be up and running in
well under 15 minutes depending on internal hard drive size. And do all
the mods one wants with all the power and speed that is available from a
larger CPU.

Don't get me wrong, the SheevaPlug is and makes a great little SBS
Server. It requires a bit of setup and some routine maintenance over an
Atom/Vortexbox based SBS Server from the posts I have seen.

Another question would be is your stereo system revealing enough to
hear any difference from installing the mods (if the software mods even
produce any as my testing so far has shown not the slightest difference,
but I'm not finished yet and still hopeful for something)?

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom