>From my listening experience running the internal server playing WAV
files offers about the same SQ as external server streaming flac (flac
decoding on Touch). Thus external server streaming PCM (from whatever
source) sounds better than playing WAVs on internal server. Other
people will disagree with this, but thats what I hear. Please don't get
the impression that I'm saying using the internal server sounds bad,
that is not true. I'm saying the internal server sounds very good, but
an external server streaming PCM sounds REALLY good!

Again others will disagree. I know of one person who prefers the sound
of the internal server to an external server. But I know a lot of
people who prefer an external server streaming PCM to the internal
server.

The internal server runs close to the edge (memory and CPU wise) all
the time. It doesn't take much to push it over the edge. Even the
sheevaplug has much more memory and CPU power, this will give a much
more robust experience. Things like a file with a large embedded image
can cause the internal server to crash, but would work fine with the
sheevaplug. Scans will definitely run quite a bit faster on the
sheevaplug than on the internal server. There are some circumstances
where people have had stuttering of files etc, that go away when using
an external server.

Then there is added functionality. The sheevaplug SBS will have a webui
which the internal server does not. Even if you don't plan on doing
regular controlling functions with the webui, having it makes server
configuration MUCH easier. With the internal server any configuration
changes have to be done by logging into the Touch with SSH and editing
configuration files.

The sheevaplug server will allow you to add third party plugins to the
server. You cannot do this with the internal server.

The internal server is limited to a maximum playlist length of 100
songs. Its much larger for the external server.

You are going to have to decide whether any of this is important to
you.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson