Many thanks john!

Your answers lead me to another question if you or anyone else would be
so kind.

The sheevaplug does not have wireless networking built in so how do
most people have it connected to their network? is the only option to
hardwire it to a router? NewIT told me you could use a USB wireless
adapter but I don't know how easy it is to set this up on the
sheevaplug, especially for someone with little experience of
networking. Of course this would mean unplugging the the external USB
drive each time.

I had hoped that I could run the sheevaplug with the external USB drive
connected and a CAT6a cable connecting the sheevaplug to the SB Touch
and then accessing the sheevaplug wirelessly in the same manner I
access the SB Touch wirelessly at the moment. This would mean I would
have to take the netwrok cable out of the touch and put it into my
laptop everytime I wanted to access the sheevaplug from my computer. My
Orange wireless router is quite far from where my HiFi and SBTouch is
located.

Any thoughts / advice greatly appreciated!! Many thanks!

--
woodnut